Pages

.6.

- 1, 2, 3, 4 - Props! -

Yay! My number props are done!

It was an interesting process making my number props. I didn't have enough money (since I am unemployed currently) to buy the nice pre-made big number props that a lot of the photography studios seem to have. So, I made my own! My littlest sister Sierra stayed over for a couple of nights, so I had her help. When paint is involved, Sierra makes sure she has a part! I had no idea how we were going to make them, I just knew it was possible and jumped right in. Ha-ha!

Here is what we did:

Supplies -

Towel
Sunday Paper (minus the classifieds..)
1 x 3ft 2inch thick Styrofoam sheet
Sharpie
Paint Brushes
A lot of white acrylic paint (and I mean ALOT) Two 16oz bottles
Knife
Patience (about 3 days in the making)


1. I took the wonderful creation that is known as the Sharpie, and drew an outline of the numbers.
This, I found to be the easy part...







2. We took our trusty knives and began to carve. I found it to be a lot like carving a pumpkin! It is difficult to carve through, and it makes a mess all over the place. Little white pieces went everywhere! I am glad I put down a towel over our craft area (aka Richard's pool table) or I would have had a major mess. This also sounds easier than it really is. I had to be slow and precise in order to get the correct shape.




3. This is what happens when you trust your little sister with material, sharpie, and a knife. Sierra made a silly box face. Get back to work little girl...








4. Painting! We coated and coated and coated the numbers with paint. I almost thought it would be easier to dump them in a pool of paint, but that was not available unfortunately! *sigh* These pieces are like sponges, they soak up a lot of paint and because it is soaked in - it takes hours to dry a coat. So patience comes in handy! *adds patience to the list of supplies*





5. Finally a finished product. Once the numbers look solid and are completely dry they are ready for picture taking. Plus since it is with acrylic paint you are able to wipe them down with antibacterial and clean them as necessary. They are also light weight so they are easy to pick up with little hands.


 
Well, that’s it for tonight! C-ya!

0 comments:

Post a Comment